Are you looking for small ways to make a difference? Today, when the world is filled with negativity and tragedy, it is easy to feel hopeless. You can show the positive side of humanity and help spread hope in small ways that make a big difference! Here are just a few small ways to make a difference.
1. Smile and Look People in the Eye as You Are Passing Them on the Street, in a Store, Etc
This has become a lost art and has contributed to our sense of isolation as a society. Eye contact is one of many small ways to make a difference.
2. Show Patience towards Those Who Are Ahead of You in Line and Who Share the Road with You
Showing empathy towards those around you, rather than frustration and impatience can make a difference in your day and in others lives too.
3. Disconnect from Your Phone and Electronics and Connect to Your Relationships and the World around You
When you have the opportunity to be with others, are you contributing to the conversation and listening? Or are you too busy checking your social media feed or playing a game on the latest app? What is most important?
4. Take Stock of All of the Stuff You Have That You Don't Use, Don't Wear, or Just Don't Need
Donate it to a local organization who helps those who have so little.
5. Invest in the Life of a Child or a Teen
Is there an organization nearby that would allow you to read to or spend time with your community's youth? Do you know someone who could use some help with taking care of their child or who needs a positive role model in their child's life?
6. What Talents or Skills do You Have That You Can Use to Teach or Help Others?
Contact an area organization about teaching a class on your area of expertise or give a few hours of your time each month to cook for a shelter or love on a homeless pet. It is a small time investment for you but it can make a huge difference to those who you are serving.
7. Look beyond the Outward Appearance of People and Their Apparent Circumstances
Imagine yourself in their shoes instead of judging, blaming, or treating them like they are worth less than you. Everyone deserves to have access to basic needs and the right to be treated with kindness and respect. Judge people by their character and not their clothes.
It is simple to do and limits our effect on the environment.
It takes less energy and natural resources to recycle a product instead of producing the same product. Recycling also helps to reduce pollution, to decrease rainforest deforestation, and to preserve our planet for future generations.
9. Write a Letter or a Card to an Older Resident in Your Community or to a Deployed Soldier
Have you been thinking of a loved one or a friend with whom you have lost touch? Take the time to send that card or that email that you have been meaning to get around to, today. This small act of letting someone know that you are thinking of them and that they are loved is timeless and priceless.
10. Brainstorm Ways You Can Make a Difference in Your Community and in the World
Look at your surroundings with new eyes to discover what needs to be done and make it a goal to do something to help meet that need. Partner with a local business to have a shopping night or a dining experience and donate a percentage of the sales to a charity of your choice.